MOTIVATIONAL MINUTES: Alahna began the meeting with a call to advertising your business on our website – these are for slots on our Member and Directory pages (tabs above). If you would like to buy a space on the site, we are running a special for the rest of the year: $50 will get you a slot on our Member page AND a spot on our Directory page! Our Member slot includes a 50-ish word write up about you and your business (which can include a link back to your business’ website), and up to 3 rotating images for visual impact. The Directory slot is your business card that can link back to your business page. What’s even better than promoting your business is what we do with the money: 100% of any money received for the site “advertising” gets donated out, either to people in need we learn about OR our new Distinguished Young Lady scholarship. The more paid members we have, the more lives we can change in our community, and subsequently the more of a difference we can make. Email us at email@example.com today to learn more!
Alahna also read to us a beautiful poem about blessings from Maria Shriver. To read it, please click HERE. Now, on with the meeting!
SPOTLIGHT SPEAKER: Dr. Gail Anderson, Arbonne. Dr. Gail Anderson is the Regional Vice President for Arbonne. Arbonne has over 450 products specifically designed to help you thrive, all while using sustainable ingredients, in addition to being cruelty- and gluten-free. For more information on their products, please visit Gail’s consultant page HERE.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Denise Moulier, Guruz Fitness. Denise is the studio manager and lead trainer for Guruz Fitness in Ridgeland, MS. For this meeting, she spoke with us about 6 ways to stick to your fitness plan this summer – they are summed up below:
- When going to BBQs and pool parties this summer, remember to EAT SLOWWWWLLLLLYYYY and eat until you feel satisfied, NOT stuffed.
- Participate in some kind of full-body movement each day, whether it’s walking, running, swimming, etc. And, if you can only do ONE thing, focus on leg work because leg muscles provide the most efficient way to keep burning calories, long after exercising has stopped.
- NUTRITION is key when picking out your meals, so if you know you are about to attend a calorie-laden event, try eating before you go, packing a snack, or building your own meal for maximum nutritional intake. ANOTHER GREAT IDEA: when eating at a restaurant, put half of your meal in a to-go container before beginning eating – you’d be surprised about how full you feel after eating only half!
- SUPER SHAKES! With the ease of finding shake recipes on the internet and the abundance of organically grown food easily found in supermarkets, a Super Shake is a good go-to when you are trying to work more vitamins and minerals in your diet, in addition to helping stave off food cravings!
- Can I get a show of “hands” for a calorie control guide? No more guessing about how many ounces that scoop of potato salad is; Denise showed us an effective way of measuring serving sizes while on the go: protein = 1 palm; vegetables = 1 fist; carbs = 1 cupped hand; and fats = 1 thumb.
- Ever hear the phrase “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure”? Well, when it comes to meal planning, an ounce of preparation is worth a pound of deviation! Having vegetables prepped and on stand-by definitely helps keep your nutritional goals on track for the future. Make sure your veggies are water dense while being calorie sparse. You can complement them with things like spices, sour components like vinegars or mustards, and everything tastes good with a little salt (but not too much!!). Denise says they can also be “cushioned” with a little sweetness or fats – just be lighter-handed with them (see #5 for measurements).
All in all, Denise also wanted to remind us that even if you do fall off the health wagon this summer (and happen to land into a bowl of dreamy banana pudding *drools*), DO NOT be hard on yourself and try to aim for better, not perfect. And, if you have a hard time trying to put together healthy meals for you or your family, Denise offers a weekly meal service for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – just email her to be added to this and watch the weekly menus roll in! For more information, please visit Guruz Fitness online by clicking HERE.
ON THE MENU: We had a spiced-up menu today for the spiced-up weather! Jerk chicken with peppers and pineapple, wild rice pilaf, green beans, and a beautiful kale salad with a choice of raspberry vinaigrette or creamy Italian dressing (I chose the Italian; superb!). Drinks: strawberry lemonade, tea and water. Dessert: New York and caramel-drizzled cheesecakes.